Friday, December 12, 2008

Taking the plunge

Well, it happened! I did it! I took the plunge and got a wheel!




After a lot of research I became so confused at what was the "best" wheel for me; all I wanted was something to learn to spin on. I was not ready to drop $500+ on a wheel. When I found Heavenly Handspinning I really felt it was too good to be true. A wheel for $150? I found a group on Ravelry comprised of people who owned these wheels and they said they were good wheels, so I took the plunge!

Tuesday of this past week, the box arrived. I had a lot of outside chores to do, so I completed them before opening the box.



The wheel needed to be assembled, and then I started spinning. Well, not really, it's more accurate to say I attempted to spin on the wheel. In less than 30 minutes I was ready to toss the wheel out the window and was wondering about my decision to be an inexpensive wheel.


Many emails back and forth between myself, others who own Heavenly Handspinning wheels, as well as the proprietor of Heavenly Handspinning, a good night's rest, and I was spinning.

I've had the wheel for just under a week and I'm LOVING it!!!




Above is the first "skein" of yarn I spun and then did a Navajo Ply with it.



The second yarn I spun with the roving that came along with my wheel.
My third skein, plied and ready to go - about 100 yards of bulky weight


This is the last of the roving I've spun. Hand dyed by me. I just dyed some more roving that I am planning to spin and ply to this.

I am in LOVE with my wheel!!!

I am currently waiting for 1/2 pound of recently dyed roving drying before I can spin anymore!

No comments: