Sunday, May 6, 2012

A Weekend of RICE

Foot elevated with gel spint on
Friday morning, on the way to work, I twisted my ankle. It hurt, but didn't bother me much and I spent most of the day teaching, walking around my classroom and around the school with no issues.

During lunch, I must have twisted or bumped the ankle "just right" as I went from no pain to being unable to walk without severe pain in the ankle in less than 2 hours.  With each passing minute the pain got worse and I decided to drive myself to the Emergency Room.  X-rays were taken, nothing broken, just a "severe sprained ankle".  I was given a gel splint, crutches, presription for pain medication and was told to RICE (Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevate) for the weekend.

Upon arrival at home, I was informed by my boyfriend I was to do NOTHING except RICE with a strong emphasis on the R -- REST.  I am too ADHD to sit and do nothing so I had visions of a weekend of guilt-free knitting.  What else could I do?

So far, so good.
18 row repeat pattern
7th row of the 2nd repeat  
Saturday morning I hobbled around, got my coffee and bag of ice for my ankle, and started the day with my foot elevated with a bag of ice on it, while I knit on my Every Way Wrap. 

My wonderful boyfriend went to the barn and did my barn chores (even though I offered to go and groom my horse -- NOPE!  My job this weekend was to RICE!).

I have an order for one of my Budget Conscious custom made row counters I needed to make and began working on it after icing my ankle, I sat a my desk, got my supplies together, turned in my chair and BAM!  I hit my ankle!  DANG!  Back to the couch, with ice.  I decided I would send one of my more expensive row counters in place of a budget one as there was no way I could sit at my desk now.  The ankle was throbbing too much, far more than the night before when I was in the ER. 

A close up of the cable pattern
I attempted to get back to knitting, trying to ignore the pain, I wanted to take one of the pain pills, but I hadn't eatten anything and I was afraid to attempt the stairs with crutches as I was not very graceful with them last night.

Eventually my mom woke up and she made me an omlete for breakfast (hmmm, RICE-ing isn't all that bad!).

The boyfriend arrived back from the barn and assisted me in getting a shower, and with a food in my stomach I could finally take my pain pills.

The pain meds wiped me out, and after an hour, I found myself in the middle of one of the worst migraines I've had in a long time.  Nausea, vomiting, hyper senstive to noise and light!  My mom was upstairs but I couldn't call for her, even my own yelling hurt my head too much!  I ended up texting my boyfriend and had him come home from shopping in Anchorage to pick me up off the floor.  I spent the rest of the day in bed, and no knitting!  :-(

New day, back to RICE.  The good news is that, because I spent most of the last 24 hours in bed, I didn't use my foot and it is feeling pretty good!

Now, not to overdo it! Going to spend the day RICE-ing and knitting!

No comments: