Sunday, June 3, 2012

Off to Minnesota

Tonight, or maybe I should say tomorrow morning, we head off to Minnesota.  It's a Red-eye flight, leaving at 1:10 am Monday, June 4. 

I had planned to bring The Every Way Wrap on the plane, but, with it being an overnight flight, I decided that IF I couldn't sleep and ended up knitting, I wanted mindless knitting. 


Last year I spun these three skeins during the Tour de Fleece.  The one on the left is a 50/50 silk/merino that spun like butter and is 282 yards of soft and squishy fibery goodness--March 2011 Monthly Club Roving from Woolgatherings

I attempted to spin it into lace weight, and would have made it if I'd kept it a single, but I three plied it and got something between a Sport and a DK.

Off to Ravelry to find a cowl or scarf that would fit the bill:

* 282 or less yards
* dk/sport weight
* mindless pattern

I came across this Basketweave Infinity Cowl on Ravelry and it seemed to fit.  Might use up more yardage, but it is a pattern I can knit until I run out of yarn!

I have flown many times with my knitting and have never had an issue with TSA.  I didn't have the TSA recommended wooden needles in the size I needed so a trip to the LYS was in need.  I got my skein made into a center pull ball, bought two sets of tips for my Knitter's Pride interchangeable. (one for the Every Way Wrap, and one for the new Basketweave Infinity Cowl).  In the unlikely event TSA sees my needles as weapons, I can remove the needle tips and keep the project on the cables.



In the midst of getting ready for my trip, I HAD to cast on and begin the cowl.  Please excuse the poor picture -- my new "just throw in my pocket" camera doesn't take good close up pictures, so now I have to decide if I want to haul my other camera with me--the one that takes wonderful close-up pictures, but who's lens cover broke!

Okay, off to plan my day, the idea is to keep self very busy so that by about 3 or 4 pm I will be tired enough to take a good hard 2 to 3 hour nap.  At least, that's the plan!

No comments: