Saturday, February 2, 2013

Quick Wee Post

It is Saturday morning, and as I do every Saturday, I drink my coffee and read blog posts.

And

I put off going to Weight Watchers--I try to eat healthy, but it is so hard, especially when there are stressful things going on in my life (just a little too much drama at work lately, and I'll leave it at that "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.").  The scale scares me this weekend.

Yesterday I had training and had to leave my students in the hands of a sub. 

I subbed for two years while waiting for a full-time position way back in the early 1990's.  Some of my fondest memories of teaching come from subbing, as well as some of the worst teaching days of life!

I never want my class to be the class that scares subs away; never want my students to be the ones to cause someone to go home in tears (been there, done that!).

I have always told my students to be nicer to the sub than to me.  I have shared how hard it is to sub, and have taught them to be good host/hostess to the guest in our room.  I have played "okay, I'm a sub, I don't know where anything is, can you tell me what book your teacher uses with you?"

My kiddos made me proud.  The sub texted me at the end of the day:

All done.  The kids were very very good.  Thanks for letting me sub for you.  Had a rough week subbing at the middle school and your class was a great way to end the week!  Would be happy to come back any time, just let me know!

When I thanked her and said I had good kids, her reply, "they have a good momma!  You are a great teacher and it shows in your students."

Awwww!  Moments like this are few and far between in teaching, and after all the drama this past week dealing with difficult a coworker, this too was what I needed to end my week!!!

okay the scale at Weight Watchers awaits me....  :-(

2 comments:

Gracey is not my name.... said...

Oh that is great! I have the scare the sub away class this year....and we have just been told that we will be participating in a Network from the state..kinda like a minor take-over...it's exciting! Not!

FiberJewels said...

As a Special Education teacher, with a bazillion individualize lesson plans (not really, but I am sure you know what I mean), I would have to write a book of where everything is (and I'm constantly changing things to make a better mouse trap/class), that I've enlisted my students.

I will have a group up and say "I am a sub and I can't find the book your teacher uses with you, where is it?"

It is awful when you have "that group" that loves to play "sink the sub"!! ugh! I feel for you!