Friday, August 26, 2016

What HAVE I Been Doing all Summer!?!??!

We have been busy this summer!  I have often thought of this poor neglected blog and wondering what to post, when, and how much.  I figured I'd maybe start now with a very quick check in, and work backwards?
Our little RV and "home" for the weekend!
This past weekend was the 10th time we've taken the RV out this summer!  After finding our first choice,  Porcupine Campground in Hope, Alaska, was full, we drove around to some of our other options.

Seven miles up a narrow gravel road led us to a tiny tent campground that we were told was rarely used.  Sitting inside, seeing the bugs outside swarming the windows of our RV, we understood why this out of the way spot was often vacant. After dinner, we drove to Resurrection Creek Trailhead. I'd read there was free campsites on either side of the trailhead.  From May 15 to July 15 the area is open to dredge gold mining, but the rest of the summer the place was pretty much empty.





It was heaven!  We hiked, found some geocaches, dropped a line in and attempted to fish, and enjoyed the solitude in this lovely empty boondocking campground.

Resurrection Creek, knitting  Autumn Dalekanium
knit from yarn I dyed April 23, 2016

When my husband decided to take a nap, I knitted river side!

The only "issue" was that, the reason you are not allowed to dredge the river for gold after July 15 is due to the salmon.  They begin spawning middle of July through the end of summer.  After spawning, they die. There were several dead Chum (humpback) and Red Salmon.  Our dog LOVED them! She rolled in several of the dead fish she found, and even brought me a smelly fish head, bless her heart! She got a bath as soon as we got home!

So, we are all caught up, right?  

Probably not!

We've been busy, and I've been taking pictures!

I'll be back, I promise!!!



No comments: