Tuesday, June 18, 2013

A Little Hike in Alaska to Symphony Lake

 

On the hottest day of the year (91 at my house), a friend and I decide to go on a little hike.  She is in far better shape than I and kept pushing me on, beyond where I should have gone.  The hike, one way was 5.3 miles so, I walked over 10 miles.  It took us 10 hours, I was walking very, very, very slow towards the end (blisters on my feet, so it was very slow going).  I will let the pictures do most of the talking!

Looking back towards where the we had come.

The valley - towards where we were going.  The little river is the South Fork of Eagle River.
Our destination

A bull moose - we had to wait for him to get off the trail.

Part of the rock moraine - and one of the many little puddles on the way to Symphony Lake

More of the boulder field of the rock moraine.

At Symphony Lake - still had snow on the shores in pocket.  Was very hot, we took off our shoes and put our feet in the icy water - it felt so great!

Looking back to Symphony Lake and part of the boulder field we had to scramble over.

Rock Moraine

Eagle Lake - the prettier of the two lakes.  Glacier fed, so has a beautiful blue/green color.

Eagle Lake and the boulder field we needed to traverse to get home.

Eagle Lake

Eagle Lake -- and 5 miles left to get to the car.....



No comments: