Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Weekend Get Away - Alyeska Resort

This past weekend, we ran away to Alyeska Resort. (a knitting update at the bottom)

Seward Highway

The drive down was BEAUTIFUL, and we had two days with not a cloud in the sky.  Alyeska is our biggest downhill ski resort located at Girdwood, Alaska.  Addition to winter sports, there are great hiking trails, disc golf course, and other activities that keep visitors busy in the summer.  My husband and I make a weekend trip between summer and winter when prices on the hotel drop.

Seward Highway
This week was also "PFD Season" - every year Alaskan residents receive a Permanent Fund Dividend (PFD) Check, so the hotel was pretty busy this time with people spending their extra $1022 (per man, woman, child).

Road towards the resort
I left my knitting at home, and I often left my cell phone (camera) in our hotel room, so I didn't get a picture of momma moose and her calf wonder near the pond after breakfast Saturday morning.

We had dinner and cocktails  in athe resort's Bar & Grill.
I loved the Raven fireplace screen!
Mountains behind the hotel.
To the left is the building that holds the tram.
We didn't take it up to the top this trip.
The hotel in the background.
Tram building front right.
The Tram going up (or coming down?)
In the winter, this is part of the ski slope.
In the summer, this is part of the disc-golf course.

That's ice -- it was below freezing both nights we were there.
The pond behind the hotel - and where momma moose and her calf were seen,
and my camera (phone) was left in our room, so no pictures!
Yesterday was my first day substitute teaching. It went well.

I didn't get either position I interviewed for, and I am so totally fine with it!

I was under the impression that (because every district I have knowledge of did it this way), because the positions were being offered after the start of the school year, they would be long-term sub positions to the end of the year.  These were contract positions that would require me to leave my district.  There are many questions that would need to be answered before I would resign my current school district this point in time.

Before I leave you, a quick knitting update:  Falling Leaves Lace Shawl is coming along nicely and I'm to the point where I had my temper tantrum with the pattern and frogged the entire lace pattern.  I am back to virgin yarn!


The updates to the pattern give periodic stitch counts, and are great after the lace pattern shifts and added YO on the wrong side.

I have two more pattern repeats (14 rows) and will be done!


I hope that's enough yarn!

No comments: