Wednesday, May 14, 2008

One Sock, Two Sock

The rain started after lunch, had slowed some so that when I got home from work, I could do my "barn chores" without the rain, the rain started back up shortly after I went inside. So, what is a girl to do? I had thought of riding but just didn't want to deal with a muddy, wet horse. DH said he ate a late lunch (aka--I don't have to cook dinner), so I pulled out my knitting.

I cannot find a one-legged person to give my sock to, so I am forced to attempt another one to complete my pair!

What a difference the right equipment, knowledge, and experience make! While casting on, I used my new little copper and teal stitch markers every 10 stitches. What a breeze! Cast on 10, count last 10 stitches to check, place marker, repeat! I used to cast, count, cast more, count all, repeat! (I wasn't going to stop and take a picture! I just LOVE this style of markers!)

While doing the cuff, I used one of my row counters and that was far better then little slips of paper (since making and using them I really haven't done a lot of 'have to count' type knitting as it's been "repeat for 10 inches" type of patterns).

When I picked up and started working on the first sock last week, I found a slip of paper with little hash marks here and there - I really had no clue which marks went with the particular part of the sock I was working on!

Another difference between the first and second sock is that the first sock was started shortly after my accident and surgery. I was home, bored to tears! My arm was in a sling, and to knit, I'd have to "pack" my left arm with pillows (and ice) so it didn't move much. I could only knit for about 5 or 10 minutes at a time. When I say the first 10 rows (cuff) took me two days, it did, in 5 or 10 minutes slots of time! I hadn't done a lot purl stitches, to the K1, P1 was painfully slow without the issues with my arm!

Last night, after casting on and finishing the first row, I ran to my craft room and made a matching row counter. I was in such a hurry that the #7 is upside down when compared to the other numbers! Oh well, it's for me, I'll fix it when I'm not in a rush to knit!!!

While watching TV, I completed 23 rows as shown in the picture above. I just love the antique copper next to these beads as they have the same color of oxidized copper! I no longer have to count rows, but have decided I want to see how many rows are in that 7 inches I have to knit!

I got lucky as the first sock ended in the right spot to start the next sock; my pair of socks should even match!

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Nice blog start and your socks are lovely. I <3 those stitch markers.